Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ernakulam

Kochi, also known as the 'Queen of Arabian sea 'is the most important commercial place. It is also the most cosmopolitan city of Kerala. The Chinese fishing nets, Dutch buildings, Portuguese artistic,British monuments, etc. add the beauty of Cochin.
Bolghatty Island : Bolghatty is the palace built by the Dutch in 1744. It is a beautiful small island. The palace is now a hotel run by KTDC. It is an attractive picnic place with green lush and backwaters. There is also a small golf course and special honeymoon cottages.
Willingdon Island : It is created by the settling down of the material dredged during the deepening of the Cochin Harbour. It is an important part of Cochin as most of the port offices, customs house, railway terminals are situated in this island.
Hill Palace Museum : Situated at Thripunithura 10 km. away from Cochin. This palace belongs to the Maharaja of Kochi. Many articles related to the kingdom are exhibited here.

Ernakulam

Ernakulam the 'Gateway of Cochin' is regarded as the 'Commercial capital of Kerala'. The Naval Base and Cochin Shipyard are located here. It also contains beautiful parks, children playgrounds and beach side pavements.
Mangalavanam : This mangrove forest on the Dr. Salim Ali Rd. has a small bird sanctuary.
Marine drive : From here one can enjoy the views of nearby islands as well as the merchant ships and the cruise liner halting for fuelling. It is the main business and shopping area. A park avenue is located her with several parks.
Parikshith Thampuran Museum : It is located at Durbar Hall road, near shiva Temple, Ernakulam. A good collection of coins, bronzes, copies of murals, and megalithic relics of Kerala are displayed here.

Edappilly

Museum of Kerala history &Its makers : It is a fine representation of the rich historical legacy of Kerala. An impressive image of the mythological sage Parasuram, the creator of Kerala is set outside the museum. The Sound and Light show held here is accompanied by commentaries in English and Malayalam.

Mattanchery

Jewish synagogue & Jew Town : This is built in 1568 and is the oldest in the country. It was destroyed in 1662 during the Portuguese raid and rebuilt after 2 years by the Dutch.
Jew Town : The area around the synagogue is known as Jew Town. It is the centre of spice trade and curio shop.
Dutch Fort : It is Built by the Portuguese and presented to Cochin Maharajah -Raja Veerakerala Varma in 1568.This building is renovated by the Dutch and given the name Dutch Fort.

Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary

Located 12 km. from Kothamangalam and about 58 km from Cochin city. The sanctuary covers an area of 25 sq. km. stretching between the branches of river Periyar. This one of the famous Bird-Sanctuaries in Kerala.

Vypin Island & light house

It is one of the most densely populated island of the country and the southern part of the island fall within the city limits. The light house located at Ochanthuruth affords a view of the Cochin city and Aluva town. It is accessible by boat services.
Pallipuram Fort : It is located on the northern end of the island was built by the Portuguese in 1503 and is said to be the first fort built in India by the Europeans.
Cherai Beach : Most famous beach of Kochi. This beach boders the Vypin island. And is suitable for swimming. It locates near North Paravur town.
Munambam Beach : Located about 3 km away from Cherai beach. The famous Periyar river is joining to the Arabian sea at Munambam. You can see the beautiful array of chinese fishing nets here. Around 1 KM long bridge beautifully decorated and seating arrangements to see the sunset are the main attraction to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment